Overview of Role
The Associate role offers a rare opportunity to gain work experience in private debt, private equity and investment banking all under one roof. The Associate will take primary responsibility for industry research and financial modelling related to new investment opportunities and will be an integral part of FMMC’s team in ongoing portfolio company monitoring and performance measurement.
While FMMC will provide on-the-job training and supervision, the role calls for a self-starter who has been a proven performer in the areas of due diligence and financial modelling, preferably in support of small to mid- sized investments. The Associate is a full-time position in downtown Toronto.
- Lead industry and market research to identify and summarize industry and business risks that are relevant to the investment decision and/or investment structure
- Play an integral role in the financial due diligence process including modeling and analysis used in evaluating the opportunity and communicated in the team’s investment memo write- ups
- Play a role in preparing the investment memo and other investment committee presentation materials
- Articulate findings that are measurable, in a pragmatic way which our team can use to make important decisions such as go/no decisions or modifying deal structure
- Work independently or alongside other team members and external consultants to prioritize diligence efforts
- Assist in the due diligence, analysis and preparation of collaterals and other materials in support of the advisory business
- Maintain investor database and perform preliminary calls to potential investors for advisory capital raising projects
- Demonstrate a structured approach to problem solving that quickly identifies the high priority areas
- Participate in monthly calls with portfolio companies as part of the reporting and monitoring process
- Monitor and report compliance with portfolio company financial covenants
- Preparing capital calls, distribution notices and other communications with fund investors
- Contribute to a flexible, dynamic, and team-oriented working culture that fosters personal development and a positive attitude, and generally helping out on anything as required.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You will work in a dynamic, fast paced, creative environment with all investment professionals of the firm, portfolio company management teams and on certain projects you will engage with external consultants. In all instances, you will have the opportunity to work with talented and hardworking experienced individuals who you will learn from and who can help you grow your capability set
CANDIDATE PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- CA, CPA or CMA, CPA with 3 to 5 years total experience
- 1 or more years work experience in assisting private equity firms or other clients in performing due diligence on potential investee companies
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills and ability to perform in-depth, critical analysis
- Demonstrated strength in financial modelling using Excel
- Resourceful researcher, with an ability to condense large volumes of materials down to a well written summary
- Self-motivated, results-driven, entrepreneurial and proactive with strong organizational skills
- Strong conceptual and financial skills and ability to envision the “big picture”, while being “hands-on” and maintaining close attention to detail
- Ability to work in a dynamic, complex, fast-paced environment, to adapt quickly and to manage changing priorities
- Exemplifies the right motivation by aspiring to achieve collective goals
- Penchant for seeking out new experiences, knowledge and candid feedback
- Actively pursuing a CFA would be an advantage, but not required
In this position you will play a meaningful role working collaboratively with small, collegial and highly active team across the lifecycle of our investments, from initial opportunity screening, to diligence, ongoing monitoring and through to exit. You will gain exposure to the mechanics of how an alternative debt fund works through involvement with capital call documentation and quarterly distributions to investors. You will support initiatives across several industries and across the three functional areas of the firm: FMMC Private Yield Fund, FMMC Buyout Fund and Advisory Services. Over time, it would be anticipated that you will grow into the role of developing your own pipeline of investment opportunities and take on a mentoring role of future associate hires.
Fraser Mackenzie Merchant Capital is focused on helping medium sized businesses grow. Our activities centre primarily around managing two mezzanine debt funds under the name FMMC Private Yield Fund, but also include selective acquisitions of significant equity ownership positions in growing, privately-held businesses through the FMMC Buyout Fund. Both the mezzanine debt and equity investment sides of our business are aimed at companies which have already achieved a critical mass of EBITDA, typically $1 to $5 million and with enterprise values of $5 to $50 million.
Primarily through our Exempt Market Dealer affiliate, we also offer a comprehensive suite of Investment Banking and Advisory Services, including capital raising, mergers and acquisitions and helping boards and shareholders with a variety of other strategic advisory assignments.
FMMC has established a strong track record of returns in its mezzanine debt business, and due to growth in the number of portfolio companies and committed capital under management, we are expanding our team by the addition of an Associate. The focus of the Associate role is to provide analytical and research support for all three areas of the FMMC business, with the majority of work being related the FMMC Private Yield Fund activities.
Qualified candidates should send a CV to email@example.com with the subject line “ASSOCIATE NEW HIRE”. We regret that due to anticipated volumes, we will only be able to respond to those candidates selected for an interview.